I have just finished reading this book and am crying in a corner while my heart feels like it has been broken and slit open T.T
“We are all just people who sometimes do bad things”
Title: It ends with us
Author: Colleen Hoover
Recommended to fans of: My heart and other black holes by Jasmine Warga
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication date: 2nd August 2016
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, New Adult, Fiction
[Synopsis] (Taken from goodreads)
Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.
Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.
Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.
As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.
(Review) (DISCLAIMER:This is my opinion only, may contain spoilers for the book, may contain coarse language)
- Let me just say that I’m not in favour of adult books much less contemporary books, but this book was mind-blowing and heart wrenching and so emotional for me
- I expected a YA feel of a love triangle and was totally not ready for what was to come in this book
- So the book was definitely quite deep, it addresses issues such as thinking about death, “naked truths”, homelessness, abusive relationships
- The first chapter and it was already pretty saucy
- The author; Colleen Hoover used letters (addressed to Ellen Degeneres) in a journal to do the flash-back story for Lily and Atlas, which was really smart and cool
- With a small paragraph of Lily gardening and cleaning to relieve stress, we learn a lot about her character
- I think the idea of the florist shop design was brilliant! Using the opposite of what people usually think of flowers as their Unique Selling Point of the shop
- The scene between Ryle and Lily while he was icing her foot was pretty funny
- Allysa has a nice vibe to her
- Ryle also bought lilies for Lily, which was so cute
- Atlas’s back story was heartbreaking and so sad
- That moment that Ryle pushed Lily, OMG, you know that shit will go down from then on
- I sort of suspected that the gun story in the first part was about Ryle, but actually hearing about it again sent shivers down my spine
- I cried so badly while reading the final chapter & Epilogue
- The story was really well written the characters really were put to the test by the events that happened
- This book was ground breaking for me as I would give contemporary novels another go
Have you read this book? What are your thoughts and opinions? Leave a comment down below! 🙂